Latest Blog Posts

What Would You Do?

November 8, 2010 at 2:05pm By: Mr. Wilson Posted in The Lincolnite Blog

Let’s say you’re dining out at Venue. This is your second visit, and like your first visit a couple years prior you are there largely thanks to a gift card. You enjoy Venue and other “fancy” restaurants, but it’s just not a style of dining you get to enjoy very often. Your next visit will probably be no sooner than a couple years from now.

The evening goes well, as you would expect it to at a restaurant of Venue’s reputation. At the end of the evening the waitress brings the check. The gift card happens to be enough to cover both the amount of the bill plus a generous tip. You set down the gift card and the waitress takes it away. You think you’re ready to head home.

But you aren’t. A few minutes later the waitress returns and tells you that she’s very sorry, but their “server is down” and they can’t process the gift card right then. She doesn’t offer up any alternative other than the unspoken assumption that you will now pay by cash or credit card. She leaves the table.

Now, given this scenario what would you do?

This very situation played out for us on Saturday night, marring an otherwise beautiful and rare date night for The Missus and me. I won’t say what I did or what I think I ought to have done. I’m curious to hear your thoughts first.

Count ‘Em

November 8, 2010 at 1:46pm By: Mr. Wilson Posted in The Lincolnite Blog

Burger King is constructing a new building near Kohl’s at 84th and O. That got me thinking about how many Burger Kings there are in Lincoln (ten). And that, in turn, got me thinking about how many of various other restaurants are around town. Without resorting to cheating, do you know how many of each of the following restaurants there are in Lincoln?

• Amigos
  • Valentino’s
  • Taco Inn
  • McDonald’s
  • D’Leon’s
  • Applebee’s
  • Juice Stop
  • Scooter’s
  • Subway

Where in Lincoln is this?

November 8, 2010 at 1:24pm By: Mr. T Posted in The Lincolnite Blog

image

Solved!

Read more...

Business Ins and outs

November 5, 2010 at 12:46pm By: Mr. Wilson Posted in The Lincolnite Blog

Trader Joe’s may not plan to open until December 3, but its sign went up recently on its building at SouthPointe. I’m pretty sure I saw a line starting to form on the sidewalk outside. I guess folks are giddy.

To the north and east Clocktower (70th and A) is getting a new restaurant that specializes in breakfast and lunch. Gee, that sounds familiar. The Egg and I is a smallish chain with a lone Nebraska location in Kearney. Ever since Clocktower started its renaissance I knew another restaurant was probably on the way. I held out hope that Garden Cafe might make a return. Oh well.

So that’s the good news. The bad news is Junior Shoe World is closing after a couple decades in business. We didn’t shop there much but my sister did, as did many families we know.

BANNED!

November 3, 2010 at 4:19pm By: Mr. Wilson Posted in The Lincolnite Blog

So apparently a lot of people are under the unfortunate impression that I ban commenters here at Lincolnite. Put simply, I don’t.

My memory may be failing me, but I’m relatively certain I have never banned anybody on this site. Well, nobody who wasn’t obviously a spammer. Frankly I’ve never had the need. Sure we’ve had some spirited discussions over the years, and a few folks have been certifiable buttheads, but buttheadedness alone isn’t enough to justify banning someone. Not in my opinion anyway.

On occasion I do delete or edit comments. Deleting comments is an act so rare I can’t recall the last time I did it. If I delete a comment it is because the commenter has clearly gone over the top. Typically that means the commenter issued an extremely inappropriate threat or insult toward somebody else. If necessary I will delete an entire branch of a comment tree, such as when two commenters find it necessary to engage in a vicious back-and-forth. Again, that’s very rare.

As for editing comments, sometimes folks get just a wee bit carried away and use a word or phrase that doesn’t reflect the standards I like to uphold around here. When that happens I’ll do a quick edit and leave a note indicating such. I do not do “stealth” edits to others’ comments where I don’t identify that a comment has been altered.

You may wonder just what is (or is not) allowed in the comments here at Lincolnite. There is no list of “bad” words or things you oughtn’t say or do. Blanket bans aren’t worthwhile, in my opinion. I merely ask that you be civil and that you use your words in contextually appropriate ways. It’s like when I referee soccer: an f-bomb may be a perfectly appropriate reaction after some guy slashes your calf with his cleats, but if you tell the guy who committed a simple foul and who now is trying to help you up what you plan to do to his sister and mother later that evening, don’t expect that to go over as well with me. There are no bad words or phrases, only sloppy or inappropriate uses of them.

Long story short, if you think you’ve been banned or you think your comment was unjustly blocked or deleted, chances are very (very!) high that you’re experiencing a bug in the system rather than a vindictive system administrator. I was a baseball umpire for a third of my life; I’ve been a soccer referee for over half of my life; and now I’m living with a kid whose language and behaviors would make R. Lee Ermey blush. I have thick skin. If you’ve raised my wrath, it won’t come as a surprise to you.

I hope that clears up some things. If you have any questions just holler via a comment, or feel free to email me directly at mrwilson at [this domain].

Election Thoughts

November 3, 2010 at 12:55pm By: Mr. Wilson Posted in The Lincolnite Blog

• We get new sewers! Woohoo! You may think my exuberance is exaggerated for comedic effect, but it’s not. Basic infrastructure needs like the stormwater projects approved yesterday are one of the fundamental purposes of local government.
  • Lincoln’s budget cycle is now two years long, rather than one. That shouldn’t directly affect any of us too much. Rather, the changes will mostly occur behind the scenes with budget personnel.
  • Is anybody else surprised that the Democrats couldn’t come up with better competition for Governor Heineman? Heineman is on his way to ten years in his office, yet his leadership qualities are weak at best. On the contrary, Heineman seems to lead by, well, not leading. There’s plenty of fodder there for an opponent to work with. Sure Nebraska is a Republican state, but the Democrats’ showing in this race was shameful.
  • Deshler Mayor Alan Holle told voters to vote for his opponent. All but 14% of voters listened to him. In a situation like that, if you don’t like the mayor do you vote for him or against him?

Did any of you have voting troubles yesterday? There are plenty of horror stories from around the country about people having difficulties, but so far I haven’t seen any reports from Lincoln or Nebraska.

Comment Troubles

November 2, 2010 at 6:30pm By: Mr. Wilson Posted in The Lincolnite Blog

Apparently some people have been having troubles commenting here on Lincolnite. There has always been the occasional hiccup—the odd comment gets labeled as spam for example—but I get the feeling troubles have increased lately. And by “lately” I mean ... well, I’m not really sure what kind of timeline we’re talking about. The past month, perhaps?

Anyway, this post comes in reaction to an amusingly passive-aggressive note I received today. It ended:

Blockade your blog all you want. It is simply going to reduce feedback. I won’t bother myself again.

I have no idea why this person didn’t just email me a quick message like “Hey dude, your site won’t take my comment. The error it gives me is [error]. What gives?” Some people just get their kicks from living in an irrational world where everyone is out to spite them, I suppose. Does anybody actually believe I solicit comments only to put up some sort of virtual “blockade” to forbid them? That would be a strange thing to do.

Of course I’m not deliberately blockading Lincolnite from legitimate comments. However it may be true that I have unintentionally done more harm than good while trying to keep out spam. It happens. To see if that’s true, I have turned off some spam-catching machinery behind the scenes. If you previously have had troubles commenting, please try now. If you haven’t had troubles commenting, please try anyway. And if you never comment, please comment just to say hi.

If you can’t comment, drop me an email at mrwilson at lincolnite etcetera, or hit me on Twitter. You could try to catch me via Facebook, but that’ll probably just get you ignored.

Thanks folks, and sorry for the inconvenience (if any)! As for my emailer: passive-aggressive behavior is lame and I hope you knock it off, but I forgive you and I hope you stick around. I do sincerely apologize that you ran into troubles while commenting and I hope it didn’t ruin your day.

Synchronized

November 2, 2010 at 1:00pm By: Mr. Wilson Posted in The Lincolnite Blog

I just saw this tweet from Jack Mitchell:

Tired of ESPN announcers & their rants? KLIN is syncing the #Huskers radio audio with the TV broadcast for the ISU game so can turn ‘em down

I’m not necessarily anti-TV announcer, but I grew up listening to games on the radio so I’ve always had a soft spot for the medium. I could see a lot of Husker fans taking advantage of this.

Get Out and Vote

November 2, 2010 at 12:40pm By: Mr. Wilson Posted in The Lincolnite Blog

Today is election day. Get out and vote, if you are so inclined. Don’t forget to do your research before you head to the polls.

Locally there are two City issues to keep in mind. The first would shift the City to a two-year budget, rather than the current annual budget. The practical effect on Lincolnites is nil, though the assumption is that it would free up some City employee time for other activities. The second issue is an $8.2 million stormwater bond. Lincolnites are generally asked to pass this sort of infrastructure issue every couple years, and generally voters approve. This year should be no different; love or hate local government, basic infrastructure is not something you refuse to fund.

There are two state constitutional amendments on the ballot this year. Amendment 2 would abolish the State Treasurer’s office. The pros say it’ll save money to keep all of the Treasurer’s functions inside the Department of Revenue; the cons say an elected official is more likely to be an effective check on wasteful activity. Amendment 1 is a no-brainer that would allow communities to fund economic development projects via means other than local sales and/or property taxes. Why would we not want communities to have more flexibility?

I plan to vote later this morning. If I can find my polling place, that is. It hasn’t been at the same location twice in a row for the past several elections. It’s like voter whack-a-mole.

Unscathed

November 1, 2010 at 1:10pm By: Mr. Wilson Posted in The Lincolnite Blog

I made it through October alive!

Last year I struggled with pneumonia throughout much of October. My coughing was so bad I pulled a muscle in my back. And yet for some reason I continued to try to referee soccer. It was not a pleasant month. In prior years I finished the month exhausted and burnt out thanks to a heavy reffing schedule.

Call me superstitious, but this year I played it safe. I kept my reffing schedule light and I tried to pay attention to my health. And ... I made it through October! Woohoo! Best of all, I’m healthy and upbeat with nary a symptom of too-many-soccer-games-itis. It’s a wonderful feeling.

Now, please excuse me while I go knock on wood.

Friday Football

November 1, 2010 at 1:00pm By: Mr. Wilson Posted in The Lincolnite Blog

Seacrest Field is the place to be on Friday if you like high school football. Southeast hosts Millard West at 3:30pm, while Northeasts hosts Millard North at 7:30pm. The current forecast calls for clear skies but a high of only 48 degrees, so take a blanket or two.

The Most Unusual Halloween Ever

November 1, 2010 at 12:50pm By: Mr. Wilson Posted in The Lincolnite Blog

Yesterday was Halloween, a holiday typically associated with eating candy. Yet by the end, only one of my kids had eaten any candy at all. Robbie ate a single, puny box of Junior Mints given to him by one of my cousins. Other than that, no candy.

What kind of bizarre kids live at my house?!

Where in Lincoln is this?

November 1, 2010 at 12:03pm By: Mr. T Posted in The Lincolnite Blog